In a veiled attack on Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal for defending khap panchayats, Finance Minister P Chidam-baram described them as retrograde organisations that cannot be part of India’s culture.
“What is a khap panchayat? A khap panchayat is a retrograde organisation. It is not part of India’s culture and I am appalled to see somebody say it’s part of India’s culture. How can it be part of India’s culture?,” he said addressing students of Shri Ram College of Commerce (SRCC) here on Wednesday.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Kejriwal had in a recent interview said he does not see the need for banning khap panchayats or unelected all-male village councils because they serve a “cultural purpose.”
Attacking Kejriwal’s Aam Admi Party (AAP) for defending khap, Chidambaram said, “(it’s) rubbish. Must have the courage to stand up and say these retrograde practices are not part of India’s culture… These are simply (organisations of) self serving individuals who propagate this poisonous culture”.