In a veiled attack on Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal for defending khap panchayats, Finance Minister P Chidam-baram described them as retrograde organisations that cannot be part of India’s culture.
“What is a khap panchayat? A khap panchayat is a retrograde organisation. It is not part of India’s culture and I am appalled to see somebody say it’s part of India’s culture. How can it be part of India’s culture?,” he said addressing students of Shri Ram College of Commerce (SRCC) here on Wednesday.
Kejriwal had in a recent interview said he does not see the need for banning khap panchayats or unelected all-male village councils because they serve a “cultural purpose.”
Attacking Kejriwal’s Aam Admi Party (AAP) for defending khap, Chidambaram said, “(it’s) rubbish. Must have the courage to stand up and say these retrograde practices are not part of India’s culture… These are simply (organisations of) self serving individuals who propagate this poisonous culture”.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest