An alleged Indian Mujahideen (IM) operative, who is said to have helped suspected terrorists on the run in Dubai and facilitated their travel to Pakistan, was deported to India on Friday.
The man, identified as Faizan Ahmed, is believed to run a business in Dubai, and belongs to Azamgarh in Uttar Pradesh. He was detained by UAE authorities with the help of India’s external intelligence agency RAW. A red corner notice had also been issued against Ahmed by Interpol, officials said.
Indian investigators said Ahmed’s name cropped up during the interrogation of several arrested IM operatives who claimed they had travelled to Dubai via Nepal after a crackdown in 2008. Ahmed is also said to have helped IM operatives to transfer money from Dubai.
“Apart from providing logistics support, Ahmed also helped IM operatives who were on the run to get Bangladeshi and Pakistani passports through his contacts and travel to Pakistan for training,” said a senior official.
After the 2008 Batla House encounter, around a dozen IM operatives, including Riyaz and Iqbal Bhatkal, were suspected to have fled to Dubai via Nepal. Ahmed is alleged to have facilitated the travel of several of these fugitives. The National Investigation Agency, which arrested IM co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and Asadullah Akhtar near the India-Nepal border last year, had got a red-corner notice issued against Ahmed.
The details provided in the red-corner notice included his name as Sultan Ahmed Faizan, and a physical description. Ahmed has been accused of waging war against the country, raising funds for terrorist acts and recruiting persons for terror acts. He belongs to Devapare in Azamgarh district, and knows English, Hindi and Urdu.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
According to the interrogation of arrested IM operatives, Ahmed had been living in Dubai for more than 10 years, and had a well-oiled network of money traders. In January, Yasin’s cousin and alleged IM financer Abdul Wahid Siddibapa was arrested by the UAE authorities but his extradition to India is till under process.