Kerala high court judge Harun Ul Rasheed on Saturday said he was ready to face CBI probe into the Congress allegation that he had a meeting with CPI (M) polit buro member Kodiyeri Balakrishnan before passing orders in a petition pertaining to land grabbing case against a former aide of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
Justice Rasheed had come under attack from Congress leaders after he made adverse remarks against Chandy last week while ordering for CBI probe into the allegations against his former gunman Salim Raj. Among other observations, the judge said presence of unscrupulous elements among the personal staff of Chandy and criminal activities called for a thorough probe. Later, a division bench stayed a part of the observations.
Congress alleged that Rasheed had a meeting with Balakrishnan. Party legislator T N Prathapan wrote to the Supreme Court chief justice V Sadasivam, alleging that the judge had crossed all limits and there were several instances in which had given verdicts favouring the CPI (M)-led Opposition.
Addressing a seminar in the high court on Saturday, the Justice openly said he was ready to face CBI probe and would keep away from the office until an investigation is over. The judge said he had met Balakrishnan in Delhi to invite him for daughter’s marriage. “There was no talk on Salim Raj case.’’
He said he has acquaintance with not only Balakrishnan, but also with Congress leaders. “I am saying all these at this juncture, otherwise the existence of judiciary would be in danger. The situation in Kerala is not conducive for the smooth functioning of the judiciary. I am an upright judge, who makes verdicts after examining facts. I would not run away if someone tried to foist allegations on me. Those who don’t like a verdict should move appeal. Instead, everyone is criticizing the court verdicts in TV channels. ”
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
On the allegation that the verdict in the Salim Raj case could have been made after elections, he asked can a judge stock the verdict in his pocket until elections were over. A judge need not consider such matters, he said.