Kerala high court judge Harun Ul Rasheed on Saturday said he was ready to face CBI probe into the Congress allegation that he had a meeting with CPI (M) polit buro member Kodiyeri Balakrishnan before passing orders in a petition pertaining to land grabbing case against a former aide of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
Justice Rasheed had come under attack from Congress leaders after he made adverse remarks against Chandy last week while ordering for CBI probe into the allegations against his former gunman Salim Raj. Among other observations, the judge said presence of unscrupulous elements among the personal staff of Chandy and criminal activities called for a thorough probe. Later, a division bench stayed a part of the observations.
Congress alleged that Rasheed had a meeting with Balakrishnan. Party legislator T N Prathapan wrote to the Supreme Court chief justice V Sadasivam, alleging that the judge had crossed all limits and there were several instances in which had given verdicts favouring the CPI (M)-led Opposition.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Addressing a seminar in the high court on Saturday, the Justice openly said he was ready to face CBI probe and would keep away from the office until an investigation is over. The judge said he had met Balakrishnan in Delhi to invite him for daughter’s marriage. “There was no talk on Salim Raj case.’’
He said he has acquaintance with not only Balakrishnan, but also with Congress leaders. “I am saying all these at this juncture, otherwise the existence of judiciary would be in danger. The situation in Kerala is not conducive for the smooth functioning of the judiciary. I am an upright judge, who makes verdicts after examining facts. I would not run away if someone tried to foist allegations on me. Those who don’t like a verdict should move appeal. Instead, everyone is criticizing the court verdicts in TV channels. ”
On the allegation that the verdict in the Salim Raj case could have been made after elections, he asked can a judge stock the verdict in his pocket until elections were over. A judge need not consider such matters, he said.