A special court in Kozhikode on Wedensday found three CPI (M) leaders and a seven-member gang of killers guilty in the sensational murder case of Marxist rebel T P Chandrasekharan. The quantum of sentence would be pronounced later.
Chandarsekharan was a prominet leader of rebel marxist outfit Revolutionary Marxist Party (RMP) in the Communist stronghold Onchiyam in Kozhikode district. He was murdered on May 4, 2011.
According to the prosecution, Chandrasekharan was hacked to death by a seven-member gang, allegedly hired by the CPI (M). Prosecution had arraigned 76 persons as the accused. Of them 36 were facing trial, and 21 were acquitted by the court. Those acquitted include CPI (M) district secretarate member P Mohanan, husband of CPI (M) legislator K K Lathika.
On Wednesday, special judge Narayana Pisharodi found CPI (M) leaders P K Kunhananthan, T Manoj and K C Ramachandran guilty on charges of conspiracy. The court found the entire killer gang guilty in the case. The gang had a history of being hired by political parties for murdering rivals.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Chandrasekharan was murdered near Vatakara. The 51-year-old Marxist leader had sustained 51 hack injuries on his face. His murder had rocked the state, triggering a debate on killer politics in North Kerala.
Unlike other political murders of the past in which proxy accused were produced and role of political leaders in conspiracy never looked into, the police had managed to take the case into the CPI (M). The murder had put the CPI (M) on the defensive like never before.
While party state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan called Chandrasekharan a renegade, his rival V S Achuthanandan hailed the killed leader as a brave Communist. VS had locked horns with the party over Chandrasekharan murder case, which had brought to focus the killer politics prevailed in North Kerala.
It was referring to Chandrasekharan murder case that senior CPI (M) leader M M Mani publically stated that the party has a history of physically annihilating its enemies. Mani had detailed on how the party prepared a list of rivals to be finished off and what weapon was used to kill them.