Arvind Kejriwal’s family, BJP leaders Amit Shah and Arun Jaitley and others involved in campaign but not having voting rights in the city will have to leave the constituency after canvassing ends on Saturday evening in accordance with rules, officials made it clear on Friday.
Aam Aadmi Party’s Amethi candidate Kumar Vishwas had protested after his family members were asked to leave the constituency ahead of polling on May 7, accusing the administration of being biased and favouring his Congress rival Rahul Gandhi.
Denying any partisan approach, Varanasi’s Additional District Magistrate (City) M P Singh said the administration will see that those engaged in campaigning activities, if they are not voters in the constituency irrespective of their party or candidate affiliation, leave the city.
“We will not allow anybody involved in campaign and not having a voter to stay in the city after campaigning ends tomorrow. Be it Kejriwal’s family or BJP leaders like Amit Shah, everybody will have to comply with our orders,” Singh said.
The high-octane campaign for the May 12 election will come to an end tomorrow at 5 PM.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Besides Kejriwal and Narendra Modi, Congress’ Ajay Rai, a Varanasi local and MLA from nearby Pindara constituency, is the major candidate.
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi will address a roadshow here on Saturday, seen as retaliation to Narendra Modi’s rally in Amethi on the last day of campaigning where the BJP’s Prime Ministerial nominee had made a stinging attack on the Congress leadership.
The ADM said the district administration has made all possible efforts to ensure free and fair election. Thousands of police and paramilitary personnel have been deployed across the city as part of the security drill.
When asked about BJP’s allegation of adopting a partisan approach towards it following denial of permission to hold a rally by Modi in Beniabagh yesterday, the senior official refused to comment saying they were just performing their duty.
BJP had demanded that the Election Commission immediately remove Returning Officer Pranjal Yadav but the commission
rejected it. Modi had carried out an informal road show in which thousands of his supporters participated.