Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday refused to be drawn into the Katju controversy, terming it as a “futile” issue.
“It is a futile issue. Soli Sorabjee (former Attorney General) also spoke on it. I don’t need to comment on it,” he told reporters at an Iftar party hosted by Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
He was responding to a question on the controversy triggered by former Supreme Court judge and Chairman of Press Council of India Markandey Katju. Katju had alleged that three ex-Chief Justices of India made “improper compromises” during UPA rule in retaining a judge in Tamil Nadu under corruption cloud.
It was alleged that the Congress had buckled under pressure from its ally, DMK, who insisted on the judge being given an extension. The NDA Government had later stated in Parliament that the PMO during Manmohan Singh’s tenure had asked why the Supreme Court collegium had not recommended extension for the Madras High Court judge who was facing corruption charges after the collegium expressed its hesitation.
The Modi Government has also demanded that the former Prime Minister should make a “categorical” statement on the controversial matter. Asked about the situation in Uttar Pradesh in the wake of the violent clashes between two communities in Saharanpur, Singh said, “the UP situation is worrisome”. On the economic situation, the former Prime Minister said, “We should give the Government more time.”
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review