In pursuance of a Supreme Court orders, the Delhi High Court on Tuesday said three convicts, including UP politician D P Yadav’s son Vikas, will have to pay compensation to the family of Nitish Katara who was abducted and killed in 2002.
A special bench, comprising justices Gita Mittal and J R Midha, which had asked Delhi State Legal Services Authority (DLSA) OSD S S Rathi to enquire about the convicts’ capacity to pay the compensation, today gave three weeks extra time for this purpose. The court asked Rathi to file his report after the summer vacation.
The apex court had in a landmark verdict in Ankush Shivaji Gaikwad Vs UOI case, said that under Section 357 of the Criminal Procedure Code, courts dealing with criminal offences are bound to consider granting compensation to the victims or their families.
Meanwhile, P K Dey, counsel for Neelam Katara, mother of the deceased, briefly argued in support of his plea on enhancement of sentence. The court has fixed the matter for further hearing on July 2. Dey sought enhancement of the sentence from life term to death penalty on various grounds including that the convicts have committed the honour killing, the “rarest of rare” crime and moreover, they can neither be reformed nor rehabilitated as they are habitual offenders.
Neelam Katara, in her written pleas, has said the offence has been held as “honour killing” and hence, deterrent punishment was needed as such offences are rising in society.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More