A leading mining workers union here has demanded resumption of mining activities in Goa to save the jobs of people employed on various mining leases.
“Some of the mine owners have decided to terminate the services of permanent workers as they feel that the mining
operation will not resume in the near future,” United Mine Workers Union General Secretary Puti Gaonkar said in a letter to Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar.
The Supreme Court in its recent verdict has allowed mining in the state, while Parrikar-led government is in the process
of formulating the policy to regulate iron ore extraction activity, which is one of the biggest revenue earner for the
Gaonkar said that one third of Goa’s population is totally dependent on the mining industry.
“SC has vacated the stay and held that all the powers of commencement of mining operation are with the State Government,” he pointed out.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“During the Lok Sabha election, you have promised the people of Goa that if BJP government comes to power at Centre,
Goa Government will commence the mining operation in two months, now two months are going to end and no positive steps are taken to resume the mining industry,” the letter read.
Parrikar had recently said that his government will be formulating a mining policy this month, which would be
implemented in consultation with the union government for resumption of the mining industry in the state.