A militant, associated with Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad outfit, was killed in a gunbattle with security forces in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashhmir, Police said on Thursday.
Syed Mawia, a foreign militant affiliated with JEM, was found dead at an orchard in Tral, 45 kms from Srinagar, two days after he got injured in a gunbattle near Dadsara-Amirabad village, a police spokesman said.
Acting on a tip-off about movement of militants during the night hours, the spokesman said police and Army had laid an ambush near Dadsara-Amirabad on May 6.
“Late in the evenings, the ambush team reported some movement. The team asked them to stop and reveal their identity but the militants retaliated with heavy fire, ensuing an encounter,” the spokesman said.
However, the militants taking advantage of darkness and vegetation managed to escape.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Following the encounter, the ambush team detected blood stain marks on the trails of the fleeing militants. Next morning police recovered an AK 47 rifle near the encounter site believed to be that of the injured militant.
“Today police retrieved the body of the injured militant from an orchard at Panzoo village of Tral. The slain militant has been identified as Syed Mawia who was involved in the recent killing of Numbardar (headman) Mohammad Anwar at village Amlar,” the spokesman said.