Police on Friday arrested a rickshaw-puller for allegedly vandalising the statues of Baby Jesus and Mother Mary at the Saint Mary’s Church in Agra’s Rakabganj area on April 16.
Haider, 24, a resident of Sultanpura locality, damaged the statues as he was angry after his girlfriend, a frequent visitor to the church, stopped seeing him, police claimed.
According to police, Haider had fallen in love with a girl who used to work as a maid in the Pratappura locality where the church is located, about three months ago. Police said the girl used to meet him near the church.
- Girl ‘raped’ by youth in Thane
- VIDEOS: Three Avicii songs ring out from Netherlands church bells; fans get emotional
- Surat rape-murder case: Three detained, police say girl’s mother also dead
- Jharkhand: Youth held for killing five-year-old cousin after aborted rape bid
- Pope Francis admits he made ‘grave errors’ in Chile sex abuse case
- For one Catholic parish in China, division and confusion as historic deal looms
According to a police spokesperson, Haider told investigators that the girl used to go to the church to pray after their meeting every Saturday.
IG, Agra Zone, D C Mishra said Haider had gone to meet the girl on the night of April 15 but he could not meet her as there was a function taking place at the church. The girl was also working at the church at the time of the function.
“He was drunk that night and returned home after failing to meet her. But he again went to the church around 2 am and entered the church premises where he indulged in vandalism,” said Mishra.
Mishra said Haider committed the incident under the influence of alcohol and has claimed that he regretted damaging the statues later.
Two statues of Baby Jesus and one statue of Mother Mary were found vandalised in the church on April 16.