THE Mumbai Police’s Crime Branch Monday received a letter from the CBI regarding the willingness of the US government to assist the city police in its probe into the death of actress Jiah Khan.
The actress, a US citizen, was found to have hanged herself at her Juhu residence on June 3 last year. The US government had written to the CBI last week, offering assistance in the probe. The letter was forwarded by the CBI to the Crime Branch. Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime) Niket Kaushik confirmed the development.
“The US government has only offered its assistance as a gesture of goodwill, which is a common practice. The Mumbai Police will remain the primary investigating authority in the case. The US government will be notified if any assistance is required,” a city police officer said. Meanwhile, the US government’s legal attache in its New Delhi Embassy and Rosemary Macray, chief of the American Citizen Services Unit in the Mumbai Consulate, Monday forwarded a request to Maharashtra’s Home Department to allow the FBI to provide technical and forensic assistance to the Mumbai Police in the case.
Jiah’s mother Rabya Khan and her lawyer were called to the Consulate office at Bandra Kurla Complex and were informed that an approval from Home Minister R R Patil had been sought.
The FBI’s offer comes following a letter from Rabya to US Ambassador Nancy Powell last October, after the city police refused to entertain the possibility of foul play in Jiah’s death. She received a confirmation of her meeting at the Consulate on Thursday, four days after the Juhu police filed a chargesheet in the Metropolitan Magistrate’s court in Andheri. Jiah’s boyfriend actor Sooraj Pancholi has been charged with abetting her suicide. He was arrested and released on bail in July.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More