THE Mumbai Police’s Crime Branch Monday received a letter from the CBI regarding the willingness of the US government to assist the city police in its probe into the death of actress Jiah Khan.
The actress, a US citizen, was found to have hanged herself at her Juhu residence on June 3 last year. The US government had written to the CBI last week, offering assistance in the probe. The letter was forwarded by the CBI to the Crime Branch. Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime) Niket Kaushik confirmed the development.
“The US government has only offered its assistance as a gesture of goodwill, which is a common practice. The Mumbai Police will remain the primary investigating authority in the case. The US government will be notified if any assistance is required,” a city police officer said. Meanwhile, the US government’s legal attache in its New Delhi Embassy and Rosemary Macray, chief of the American Citizen Services Unit in the Mumbai Consulate, Monday forwarded a request to Maharashtra’s Home Department to allow the FBI to provide technical and forensic assistance to the Mumbai Police in the case.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Jiah’s mother Rabya Khan and her lawyer were called to the Consulate office at Bandra Kurla Complex and were informed that an approval from Home Minister R R Patil had been sought.
The FBI’s offer comes following a letter from Rabya to US Ambassador Nancy Powell last October, after the city police refused to entertain the possibility of foul play in Jiah’s death. She received a confirmation of her meeting at the Consulate on Thursday, four days after the Juhu police filed a chargesheet in the Metropolitan Magistrate’s court in Andheri. Jiah’s boyfriend actor Sooraj Pancholi has been charged with abetting her suicide. He was arrested and released on bail in July.