While ruling out the possibility of the formation of a government either under the Congress or the BJP after next Lok Sabha polls, JD(U) president Sharad Yadav Saturday said there was nothing new about multiple contenders for the prime ministership in the third front.
Briefing the media on deliberations at the two-day meeting of party central office-bearers, state presidents and general secretaries, Yadav said V P Singh, Chandra Shekhar, Devi Lal, R K Hegde and Deve Gowda were all PM candidates, but their conflicting claims did not come in the way of the formation of a third front government. “We formed governments four times,” he said, adding that the BJP could form government only once under the leadership of Atal Bihari Vajpayee. “We never announced a PM candidate,” Yadav said. He took a swipe at the BJP by suggesting it could set up a replica of the Red Fort and have its PM sworn in by P A Sangma (its unsuccessful presidential candidate).
He said the BJP had embarked on a “separate track assuming that it can take the cake and eat it too though all of us (opposition parties) had created the present (anti-Congress) atmosphere through our joint efforts”.
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
Taking exception to the use of the expression “third rate” by BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi, he said he could predict at least one thing — neither Congress, nor BJP will be able to get power at the Centre. The party will step up efforts to unite the parties which participated in the October 30 anti-communalism convention last year and the February 5 meeting here.