AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa on Friday was re-elected unanimously as the party’s General Secretary, with the 66-year-old leader vowing to continue to work for the welfare of the party and the country.
Party’s Organisation Secretary Visalatchi Nedunchezhiyan, also the ‘Election Commissioner’, said all the papers received from August 20 to 24 had nominated Jayalalithaa alone for the party’s powerful top post and declared that she had been elected under relevant party rules.
“It is being announced with joy that Jayalalithaa has been unanimously elected as General Secretary of AIADMK,” she said in a party statement.
Thanking her party supporters who had proposed her candidature for the post, Jayalalithaa said it showed their love and confidence reposed by them on her.
“I assure that I will continue to work for the party’s growth and development and for the welfare of the people of the country,” she said in her message.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Jayalalithaa has been holding the post of General Secretary since 1987 following the death of party founder M G Ramachandran.
The elections to the General Secretary post are held once in five years in accordance with party rules. Earlier, the party had received a total of 2,467 papers seeking re-nomination of Jayalalithaa as General Secretary.