Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Thursday sought the personal intervention of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in securing release of an Indian aid worker who was abducted from Herat in Afghanistan on June 2.
Noting that Father Alexis Prem Kumar, hailing from Dindigul district, was on a ‘humanitarian mission’ in Afghanistan when he was kidnapped, she said, “The incident has caused considerable anxiety to his family and friends in Tamil Nadu”.
In her letter to Modi, Jayalalithaa said there was a groundswell of sentiment in different parts of the state as Prem Kumar has a “stellar record” of having worked among tribal women and children for their welfare.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
“There is a fear that his life may be in mortal danger”, she said.
“Hence I would be grateful if you could kindly intervene personally and take up the matter at the highest level in Afghanisthan so that the local authorities redouble their efforts to secure the safe and early release of Father Alexis Prem Kumar”, she said.
One person has been arrested by Afghan security forces in connection with the abduction of Prem Kumar.
The Afghan authorities have already conveyed to India that they have arrested one person who had helped carry out the abduction of 47-year-old Kumar.