A militant belonging to Pakistan- based Lashker-e-Toiba (LeT) was killed in an encounter with security forces in Budgam district of Kashmir Valley on Thursday,police said.
The militant,identified as Umar Bilal from Pakistan- occupied Kashmir,was killed in a gunfight in Hushroo village of Chadoora area of the central Kashmir district this morning,a police spokesman said.
He said a joint team of police and security forces had on Wednesday laid a cordon around the village after receiving intelligence inputs about the presence of militants in the area.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
As the forces started the search operations,the militants hiding in a house in the village opened fire,following which the forces retaliated,the spokesman said.
There was intermittent firing during the night and a fierce gunfight started in the morning resulting in the killing of the ultra.
The house was damaged in the gunfight and body of the militant was recovered from under the debris,he said.
An AK-47 assault rifle and some ammunition were recovered from the debris,the spokesman said.
The search operation was launched following the arrest of a local LeT operative Latief Ahmad Rather on Tuesday.
Based on the information provided by the arrested operative,the security forces cordoned off Ichkoot village near Chadoora but the militants had managed to escape.