While criticising the Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party’s Delhi government for its decision to appeal the CBI court’s clean chit to BJP MPs in the 2008 cash-for-vote scam, Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley on Thursday favoured passage of Whistleblowers Bill in Parliament, being pushed by Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi as well.
“The Lok Sabha has passed the Whistleblowers Bill and the same is pending before Rajya Sabha. If there is any window of opportunity for legislation, which is available in this session, I do hope this Bill can be passed at the earliest,” Jaitley said on his website expressing “suprise” at reports of the Kejriwal government’s move to appeal exoneration of BJP MPs in the cash-for-vote scam.
Jaitley said BJP MPs and a few others were “whistleblowers” in the 2008 cash-for-vote scam and that “along with alleged bribe-givers, three whistleblowers were arrested” and the “Special Judge, CBI, in Delhi discharged the three whistleblowers along with some others” last November.
“It, therefore, surprises me that one of the earliest decisions of AAP government would be to challenge discharge of whistleblowers by a competent court,” Jaitley said asserting, “They were wrongly charged, and rightly discharged” and “this judgment was a significant victory for those campaigning for rights of whistleblowers and grant of protection. India needs more whistleblowers so acts of corruption can be exposed”.
“AAP ostensibly claims to be a product of a movement which campaigned for the Lokpal and the whistleblowers legislation,” the senior BJP leader said. He added, “Arvind Kejriwal and his government would now plead for prosecution of whistleblowers comes to me and many others as a matter of surprise”. Jaitley asked whether Kejriwal’s appeal to Delhi public to turn whistleblowers will make them law-breakers.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review