Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley Thursday voiced his disagreement with the Supreme Court verdict granting relief to three convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, but steered clear of attacking Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on the issue.
“The latest case of relief to the assassins of former PM Rajiv Gandhi is unconscionable. After assassinating a former PM, that there can be institutional compassion for such persons is difficult to comprehend,” he wrote on his website.
While he did not directly comment on Jayalalithaa’s move to release all seven convicts in the case, Jaitley said, “Those who commit such heinous crimes cannot be made a symbol of identity politics. Nothing more can hurt national security. Terrorism… must attract a deterrent punishment,” Jaitley said.
After praising Jaya, DMK slams her for ‘mishandling’ issue
CHENNAI: A day after lauding Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa for her decision to release the seven convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, the DMK on Thursday criticised her for “mishandling” the issue. “Even the most well-planned efforts will not be complete in the hands of the incompetent,” said DMK president M Karunanidhi on Thursday, quoting a couplet from Tamil treatise Thirukkural.
On Wednesday, Karunanidhi had congratulated Jaya, even defending her and saying that it was not a “hasty” step. However, Jaya’s charges against him of remaining indifferent to the plight of these prisoners when in power, seems to have struck a raw nerve, prompting Karunanidhi to launch a counter-attack after the Supreme Court stayed the release of the convicts. Karunanidhi said it was the Jaya government that had opposed parole for S Nalini, one of the convicts serving life term. ENS
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016