The Italian government has resumed the efforts for the release of their marines, who are accused of killing two Kerala fishermen in Indian waters in 2013. Italy has moved the Supreme Court seeking direction to Centre to expedite the proceedings in the case.
According to the Italian government, no chargesheet has been submitted in the case even one year after the order of the apex court. It has pleaded the Supreme Court to discharge the marines in the case due to delay in the proceedings.
The Supreme Court has accepted the plea and is slated to hear it on Monday.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Meanwhile, National Investigation Agency (NIA) has sought sanction to prosecute the two Italian marines – Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone – under the ‘Suppression of Unlawful Acts Against Safety of Maritime Navigation and Fixed Platforms on Continental Shelf’ Act (SUA), a provision which has only death penalty as punishment.
India has, however, given an assurance to Italy that the two would not be awarded death penalty. The two marines, who are now lodged at the Italian Embassy in New Delhi, were on board Italian vessel ‘Enrica Lexie’ when they allegedly shot dead two fishermen off Kerala coast on February 15, 2012.