The Italian government has resumed the efforts for the release of their marines, who are accused of killing two Kerala fishermen in Indian waters in 2013. Italy has moved the Supreme Court seeking direction to Centre to expedite the proceedings in the case.
According to the Italian government, no chargesheet has been submitted in the case even one year after the order of the apex court. It has pleaded the Supreme Court to discharge the marines in the case due to delay in the proceedings.
The Supreme Court has accepted the plea and is slated to hear it on Monday.
Meanwhile, National Investigation Agency (NIA) has sought sanction to prosecute the two Italian marines – Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone – under the ‘Suppression of Unlawful Acts Against Safety of Maritime Navigation and Fixed Platforms on Continental Shelf’ Act (SUA), a provision which has only death penalty as punishment.
India has, however, given an assurance to Italy that the two would not be awarded death penalty. The two marines, who are now lodged at the Italian Embassy in New Delhi, were on board Italian vessel ‘Enrica Lexie’ when they allegedly shot dead two fishermen off Kerala coast on February 15, 2012.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review