A bright bluish light streaked through the sky towards the west and lit up the night sky before breaking into a handful of pieces and disappearing into the clouds with what sounded like thunder rumbling over the mountains. This happened around 8.30 pm on Monday, and ever since Mizoram is buzzing with speculation over what it was.
“It came really fast. It was blue and flew high in the sky. Then it suddenly split into maybe five or six pieces and disappeared. and then there was the explosion. I immediately grabbed my camera in case it came back and waited for an hour but it did not. It’s the strangest thing I have ever seen,” said Alfred Vanchhawng, a journalist who saw what is largely believed to be a meteor, but for which there has been no evidence.
Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp began buzzing with eyewitness reports from across the state that all said the same thing: the blue object flew fast towards the west and was visible for five seconds or more before exploding. Some in Aizawl and towns and villages to the west and south described the explosion as thunder.
Some said the rumble shook the windows of their houses while others said the fly-by was bright enough to have lit up the insides of their houses darkened by an power cut just at the time.
Some circulated a photo of what appeared to be a bright blue steak flying through a cloud-splattered sky lit up with bluish light like that at dawn and which many witnesses said resembled the events of Tuesday night although the veracity of the picture could not be immediately proved.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Hriat Puia Khiangte, another journalist who lives in Tlabung, a small town at the India-Bangladesh border, said in a Facebook post that some women and children in some neighbourhoods ran out of their homes scared, and that an explosion was heard immediately after the object disappeared.
Dr Vanlalzara of the Mizoram Science Centre said the flying object is most probably bits of a meteor that did not immediately burn up in the upper atmosphere and came much closer to earth than normal. But he said he cannot prove this.