IRS officer Ashutosh Verma, who was first booked by the CBI for allegedly helping arms dealers Suresh and Sanjeev Nanda to evade tax in exchange for Rs 30 crore, allegedly coerced a leading car supplier to buy a property in Goa, a chargesheet filed by the ED against him has alleged.
A probe by ED sleuths has revealed that during his posting in New Delhi, Verma was handling the accounts of Kashyap Motors and was their assessee. Officials said he allegedly sought help from them in exchange for certain favours.
The senior IRS officer, who was jailed in 2008, is presently posted as joint commissioner. He was chargesheeted by the CBI in 2012 after which the ED registered a money laundering case against him.
During the probe, two properties allegedly bought by Ashutosh from the proceeds of crime were identified. The first, a beach resort, is said to be worth Rs 4.4 crore and is situated in Goa’s Morgim village. The second property was bought in Para in Goa, allegedly by coercing Kashyap Motors. Its value is claimed to be Rs 20 lakh.
The ED probe revealed that the payment for the purchase of the properties was made in a circuitous manner using a Kolkata-based firm and that the resorts were being held under a different name.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The ED also examined allegations that Ashutosh set up a company in the US to funnel out money from India. The company, called Geiper, was structurally identical to jailed arms dealer Abhishek Verma’s firm, Ganton, which was used to strike dubious deals with foreign defence companies for Indian contracts. Ashutosh has also been under scanner for his alleged links with Abhishek.