With the Opposition firm on a reference to a Select Committee and the government not inclined to accept the demand, the Insurance Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2008, is unlikely to be taken up in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
The government’s stand is that the Bill has already been through the Standing Committee, which had deliberated on it for a long time. Introduced in the Rajya Sabha in 2008, the Bill seeks to raise foreign investment cap in the sector to 49 per cent, with management control in the hands of Indian promoters. At present, 26 per cent FDI is allowed in insurance.
The Congress Tuesday questioned the “tearing hurry” on the part of the government to push the Bill and said it will continue to demand that the Bill be referred to a Select Committee.
Speaking for the first time on the issue, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi rejected the government’s argument that his party is exhibiting double standards by blocking the Bill which it had introduced in the Upper House.
Former commerce minister and the party’s deputy leader in Rajya Sabha, Anand Sharma, slammed the government saying it was strange that the Opposition parties were being treated as petitioners to the government. “It is a disrespectful expression that we have given them three options, take it or leave it. This smacks of arrogance,” he said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More