Saturday, Apr 25, 2015

Infosys techie from Bathinda found murdered in Pune

By: Express News Service | Pune | Published on:May 31, 2014 2:01 am

A software engineer working with Infosys was found murdered under mysterious circumstances at Mulshi in Pune late on Thursday. The deceased has been identified as Varun Subhash Sethi (34), originally from Bathinda. The Hinjewadi police has registered a case of murder.

Around 10 pm Thursday, an Infosys employee saw Sethi lying in a pool of blood on Marunji Road. He informed the PCR and Infosys officials. Soon, a police team reached the spot and rushed Sethi to a hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.

The post-mortem report revealed a wound of 2.5/0.5 cm on the left side of Sethi’s chest. His bag was found intact along with his wallet, bank cards, cellphone, a tablet, office documents and other valuables.

Investigations found that Sethi had come to Pune from Bathinda on May 5 after he got a job with Infosys in its Hinjewadi office. He was earlier working with HCL in Noida. The police have informed Sethi’s relatives, following which his father arrived in Pune. Sethi was married and had a son. His wife is pregnant with their second child and is staying with her parents in Delhi currently, said police.

ACP Smeeta Patil said: “Sethi joined work on May 5 and got a project just yesterday. He was residing as a paying guest in a hostel just a few metres away from the spot from where his body was recovered.”

“He was searching for a house on rent. He visited an apartment in a nearby residential society on Thursday and left around 8.40 pm. Around 10 pm, the police got a call about his body. So, the murder took place between 8.40 pm and 10 pm. We have checked the CCTV footage at a petrol pump, but have no leads yet,” she added.

“We are not sure whether the murder was done for robbery. A sharp weapon led to his death. None of his shirt buttons were damaged — it seems he had no scuffle with the assailants. But nothing can be ruled out at this stage,” said Patil. Sethi’s cellphone records showed that he had only called the owner of the apartment he visited and his family before his death. Police suspect Sethi might have gone to search for a house and was attacked while returning.

Do you like this story