An Army naik was killed while two other soldiers got injured in Palanwalla sector during an encounter with suspected terrorists, who made an unsuccessful attempt to sneak into the Indian territory from across the Line of Control (LoC) on Tuesday morning.
According to sources, troops at Chakla post in the area noticed some terrorists trying to cross the LoC at around 9.15 am. On being challenged, the infiltrators opened fire making the troops to retaliate.
The exchange of fire between the two sides continued for nearly half-an-hour, during which an army naik died. Two army jawans were also injured, sources added.
A Defence Ministry spokesman, Lt Coeonel Maneesh Mehta, confirmed Army troops foiling an infiltration bid by terrorists. However, he did not speak about casualties among the troops.
Significantly, the infiltration attempt in Palanwalla sector came less than 24 hours after a similar attempt by them from across the international border in Hiranaguar sector on Monday evening. An infiltrator was killed there when BSF opened fire at them.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
During the last week, one BSF jawan and seven others, including civilians, were killed during Pakistani firing in Arnia sector.
The security forces attribute continued incidents of ceasefire violation by Pakistan to its attempts to help terrorists sneak into the Indian territory. To check infiltration attempts, the BSF has already stepped up vigil and deployed additional personnel along the international border.