In relief for Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade, a US judge has dismissed a federal indictment against her in a visa fraud case, ruling that she had full diplomatic immunity.
District Judge Shira Scheindlin said “it is undisputed” that the diplomat acquired full diplomatic immunity at 5.47 pm on January 8 after the US State Department approved her accreditation as a counsellor to India’s mission to the UN.
The ruling, however, left open the possibility that US prosecutors could bring a new indictment against Khobragade, and they “intend to proceed accordingly”, said James Margolin, a spokesman for Manhattan US Attorney Preet Bharara.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Khobragade’s lawyer said any decision to re-indict her might well be viewed as an “aggressive and unnecessary act”.
A MEA spokesperson said the dismissal of charges was “good as far as it goes”.
Judge Scheindlin has not barred the prosecution from bringing new charges stemming from allegations that Khobragade made a false statement regarding the visa application of her domestic help Sangeeta Richard, who later left her.