The Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) on Thursday unveiled the country’s first electric bus in a “cleaner” attempt to ease its mass transport requirements.
The 12-metre-long air-conditioned ‘e-bus’ can accommodate 32 people, including the driver and a wheelchair occupant, and can travel 250 km on a single charge of four to six hours. The BMTC will use the electric bus on a trial basis for three months and, based on the success of the operations, it will be expanding the services.
Manufactured by BYD, a Chinese coach company, the emission-free bus costs Rs 2.7 crore against Rs 1.3 crore to Rs 1.7 crore for a Volvo A/C bus. “A low running cost of Rs 7 per km — as compared to Rs 18 per km for a Volvo A/C bus — and easy maintenance are expected to drastically reduce the cost per passenger to BMTC,” said Vishwas Shetty, the director of Utopia Automation and Control, which facilitated BMTC’s acquisition of the bus. BMTC Managing Director Anjum Parwez said: “Three months is sufficient time to study the feasibility of the vehicle on our road. We will take feedback from passengers and crew before deciding on acquiring it as part of our fleet.” For the safety of passengers, there are two rooftop escape hatches and all window panes are made of breakable glasses in case of emergency. BMTC has already shortlisted and trained eight Volvo bus drivers.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls