Journalist Shubhranshu Choudhary is the winner of the 2014 Google Digital Activism Award. Choudhary is the mind behind CGNet Swara (Voice of Chhattisgarh), a mobile phone service allowing people to post and listen to local reports in their local language using basic cellphones.
Choudhary is a Knight International Journalism Fellow. He has worked with the BBC and Guardian and was also a reporter with Deshbandhu. The awards in four categories were announced at an event in London on Thursday.
The Google Digital Activism Award is a part of the Index Freedom of Expression Awards, honouring top achievers in advocacy, arts, digital activism and journalism.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Other nominees for the 2014 Google Digital Activism Award were whistleblower Edward Snowden; TAILS operating system, an open-source encryption tool that helps protect free online communication between journalists and sources; and Free Weibo, an uncensored version of Chian’s largest social network SinaWeibo.