With Russia facing sanctions from the US and some other countries after it annexed Crimea from Ukraine, India today made it clear that it will not support any “unilateral measures” against Russian government.
“India has never supported unilateral sanctions against any country e.g Iraq or Iran. Therefore, we will also not support any unilateral measures by a country or a group of countries,” sources in the government said in New Delhi.
The remarks came a day after Russian President Vladimir Putin explained the situation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who underlined India’s position on “unity and territorial integrity” of countries and hoped a diplomatic solution would be found to the issue.
Earlier this month, National Security Advisor Shiv Shankar Menon had said, “There are legitimate Russian and other interests involved and we hope they are discussed and resolved.”
The US and the EU have imposed sanctions on several officials from Russia and Ukraine accused of involvement in Moscow’s actions in the Black Sea peninsula. Australia has also announced its decision to impose financial and travel sanctions on a dozen political figures from the region.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Putin signed the treaty last night with the Russian- backed leaders of Crimea, pressing ahead with an annexation that Washington and Ukraine’s new government say is illegal and unacceptable.