There were muted celebrations at the homes of former IAS officers B N Yugandhar and K R Venugopal in Hyderabad on Tuesday after Bukkapuram Nadella Satyanarayana, son of Yugandhar, was appointed CEO of Microsoft. Satya was born in 1967 in Hyderabad, which is now home to the biggest Microsoft R&D centre outside of the US.
The 47-year-old Satya’s wife Anupama’s father is Venugopal, Yugandhar’s 1962 batchmate in the IAS. Both served as secretaries to former Prime Minister
P V Narasimha Rao. Satya and Anupama have three children, Zain, Tara and Divya.
When contacted on Tuesday evening, Yugandhar said he did not want to comment until his son gave a statement. “Let there be more clarity about today’s developments, then we will talk,” he said.
Satya studied at Hyderabad Public School in Begumpet, after which he obtained a bachelors degree in electrical engineering from Manipal University, Karnataka, in 1988. He met his future wife at school, the institution whose 90th anniversary he attended in Hyderabad last year.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“He is very humble. He told students there that they should never stop learning and never give up on their dreams. Satya also facilitated a visit by a team of young engineers from Microsoft who spoke about the future of Internet and Microsoft,” Faiz Khan, one of the directors of the HPS board, said.
In a 2012 interview, Satya said his daughters often failed to understand what he was doing at work. That was when he was leading the cloud and developer tools verticals of Microsoft. “Now I tell them, ‘I work on Windows but it’s not the Windows you see,” he was quoted as having said in the interview.
The Windows that we all see, despite commanding over 90 per cent of the market share, has not been doing well in recent times.
The unassailable market share is essentially in the PC market, which has started shrinking as common communication-driven computing starts moving to platforms like Android. Five years down the line, Microsoft might have fewer traditional PCs to lord over as people would have shifted to newer, cheaper, easier to use devices.
However, it would be hard to take Microsoft out of enterprises and enterprise computing, unless some major disruptor comes around soon. That has been Nadella’s core area and it would be no surprise that with him at the helm, Microsoft might just think of holding on to that base with innovations that make professional computing safer and more cost effective.
The company has for some time been under pressure to hive off some of its verticals like gaming, and a decision whether the company chooses a path that reduced its visibility to consumers while not hitting its bottom line could be on top of the new CEO’s agenda.