In a first,two girls have made it to the list of top 10 scorers in the Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced),IIT officials said. The results for the entrance exam,conducted by the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT),were announced on Friday.
For the first time in the history of JEE,two girls are among the top 10 ranks,
H C Gupta,Organising Chairman of IIT-Delhi said.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
The results were expected on June 23,but were declared earlier. We wanted to send out information to students from remote corners,who do not have access to the Internet, Gupta said.
With 320 of 360 marks,Aditi Laddha from Ratlam,Madhya Pradesh,ranked sixth. S Leena Madhuri from Tirupati,Andhra Pradesh,scored 314 and is eighth.
Aditi said she expected to feature among the top 20 and being ranked sixth was a surprise. I want to study Computer Science at IIT,Bombay, Aditi,who went to Kota to prepare,said.
This year,IIT had introduced changes in the exam pattern to discourage students from relying on coaching centres. Despite that,16-year-old Leena says she owes her success to a coaching institute in Hyderabad. I took coaching at Narain Olympiad Programme. The syllabus has been designed keeping the engineering entrance tests in mind, Leena said.
While these two girls have made it to the top 10,the general trend in girls performance has not seen a considerable shift from previous years,IIT officials said.
Of 21,110 students who qualified in IIT-JEE (Advanced),only 2,392 were girls. Director of IIT-D R Shevgaonkar said,Eleven per cent of the girls have been called for counselling. The figure is only slightly lower than last year.
Sai Sandeep Reddy (17),who topped the exam,says he was confident of performing well. I was very happy to see the result,but it wasnt a surprise, Sai said.
Sai,who dreams of doing research in robotics and looks up to Abdul Kalam,says he plans to study computer science at IIT,Bombay.
Seventeen-year-old Kartikeya Gupta is the only student from Delhi to make it to the top 10. Kartikeya,who also relied on a coaching centre,says he expected to hold a single digit rank.
Unlike what is commonly believed,teaching at coaching institutes is not based on rote learning. I give entire credit for my success to FIIT-JEE, he said. Kartikeya hopes to get a seat in Computer Science at IIT,Delhi.
Choice sheets for counselling will be filled by students from June 24 to 30. Three rounds will be held. The first one would involve scrutiny of certificates and documents of students from July 4 to 8. The second round will be from July 10-11 and the third from 14-15, H C Gupta said.