Government, on Monday, said illegal routing of international calls is a “serious issue” involving security concerns which has led to an estimated notional loss of over Rs 4 crore to the exchequer.
Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad told the Lok Sabha that that some operators route international calls illegally by violating laid down procedure by using data and not voice protocol.
He said since records of such calls is not maintained, the issue also involves “security concerns”. Prasad said in 2011, four cases were unearthed which had led to notional loss of nearly Rs 2.42 crore.
In 2012, a single case, which led to a loss of Rs 17.2 lakh, was unearthed. But so far this year, nine cases have been detected and they led to a loss of Rs 1.86 crore. The modus operandi is that the offender sets up an illegal telephone setup using hi-tech equipment and convert incoming international calls as data and then again as local voice calls.
He said Telecom Enforcement Resources and Monitoring Calls constantly monitor, investigate and seek to control illegal routing of international calls. Department of Telecom has issued directions to all telecom service providers for effective monitoring, detection and
prevention of such illegal routing.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More