Within hours after returning a jawan to BSF at the international border in Suchetgarh as a goodwill gesture, Pakistani troops resorted to unprovoked firing at forward Indian positions along the Line of Control (LoC) in Rajouri district on Friday night.
Defence Ministry spokesman Lt Colonel Maneesh Mehta said on Saturday morning that the firing from across the LoC started at 10.30 pm. The Pakistani troops were using small arms and automatic weapons, he said, adding that the unprovoked firing was continuing till last reports came in.
The Indian army was also retaliating with equal caliber weapons. However, there was no damage or casualty on the Indian side, he added.
One Army Naik and a BSF jawan have been killed and nine others, including civilians, injured as there has been escalation in incidents of ceasefire violation by Pakistani troops since July last. During the current year, there have been nearly 50 incidents of ceasefire violation by Pakistan along the Line of Control and a dozen on the international border in the state. However, their number was 199 along the LoC and 143 on international border during 2013.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016