It is a case of overstay for a purpose. Former BJP minister Shahnawaz Hussain was required to vacate his sprawling Pant Marg residence in the Capital after his defeat in the last Lok Sabha polls from the Bhagalpur constituency of Bihar. However, he stayed on so that he could organise a lavish EID party on the lawns of the big house. The feast was a roaring success, attracting a huge crowd. Those who showed up included Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, Consumer Affairs and Food Minister Ram Vilas Paswan and Minister of State for Power and Coal Piyush Goyal. With Eid over, Hussain plans moving out soon.
RAISING THE BAR
With speculation mounting about the NDA government’s plan to appoint former CJI P Sathasaivam as Governor of Karnataka, the legal fraternity has started voicing its opposition to the same. First off, the block is the All India Bar Association whose chairman senior Supreme Court lawyer Adish C Aggarwala has shot off a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi opposing the move. His reasoning: last year, a bench headed by him delivered a judgment in a case involving BJP president Amit Shah. Making him Governor “is bound to be viewed with suspicion”, his letter says. He is also critical of the former CJI for canvassing for the post.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
The AAP Tuesday issued full page advertisements in Urdu dailies wishing people Eid Mubarak, complete with pictures of the party’s top leadership and its sole remaining Muslim face Irfanullah who failed to make a mark in Okhla during the Assembly elections. Still trying to find its feet after the drubbing in the Lok Sabha polls and failing to force Assembly elections to gain lost ground in the Capital, the AAP seems to be following in the footsteps of the Congress, which has been bringing out ads during Muslim festivals.
It is pouring courtesy and farewell visits in the Indian Army, which is preparing for a change of guard later this week. Outgoing Army chief General Bikram Singh has already met Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari and Home Minister Rajnath Singh and has been hosted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi for a farewell dinner. The latest addition to those paying goodwill visits is Lt General Philip Campose who called on Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda in Chandigarh Tuesday. Campose is the present Western Army Commander designated to take over as the Vice Chief of Army Staff (VCOAS) after present VCOAS Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag takes over as the Chief of Army Staff on August 1.