Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Wednesday rejected as many as five mercy petitions pending before his ministry. The mercy petitions that were rejected included one of Surender Koli, the convict in the Nithari killings case.
Koli had moved a mercy petition before the President of India on May 7, 2011.
Koli was sentenced to death along with his employer Moninder Singh Pandher, 54, by the Ghaziabad court on February 13, 2009. It was the first of the Nithari killings cases to be decided. The Allahabad High Court had confirmed Koli’s death sentence on September 11,2009 while acquitting Pandher of the charges.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh signed five files recommending to President Pranab Mukherjee that the mercy petitions of Renukabai and Seema (Maharashtra), Koli (Uttar Pradesh), Rajendra Pralhadrao Wasnik (Mahasrashtra), Jagdish (Madhya Pradesh) and Holiram Bordoloi (Assam) should be rejected, official sources said.
The death sentence of 42-year-old Surendra Koli, who brutally killed and later axed children in Nithari locality of Noida in UP, was confirmed by the Supreme Court in February 2011.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
While 16 cases were filed against him, he has been awarded death sentence in four cases so far and others are still under trial.
Out of the five whose mercy petitions were rejected by the government, Mukherjee’s office had returned the files of Seema and Renukabai and Jagdish to the Home Ministry for review as the previous government sent them to the President’s Secretariat at the fag end of its tenure.
The two sisters, along with their mother and another accomplice Kiran Shinde, kidnapped 13 children between 1990 to 1996 out of whom they killed nine. However, the prosecution could prove only five murders and two sisters were sentence to death. The case against the mother had to be abated as she died in 1997 while Shinde turned an approver in the case.
They used to kidnap children from localities of poor people in the areas of their operation and force them to commit thefts, lift goods and snatch chains. But when the children grew older enough to understand things, they were murdered by smashing their heads against the wall, railway tracks, by hitting them with iron rods or strangulatation.
The Supreme Court had confirmed the death penalty of the two sisters on August 31, 2006.
(With PTI Inputs)