A massive operation is underway to rescue three workers trapped in an under construction tunnel of Kiratpur-Nerchowk-Manali four lane project in Bilaspur district of Himachal Pradesh. They were among a team of 20 labourers working in the evening shift.
The tunnel was being constructed by Himalayan construction company. The Bilaspur district administration today claimed to have made some headway after making an attempt to vertically drill the tunnel to reach out to the victims.
“After NDRF and army teams visited the site, the district administration with technical help of Border Roads Organisation (BRO) decided to vertically drill the tunnel to reach the trapped workers,” said Additional Chief Secretary (Disaster Management) Tarun Shridhar.
- Telangana: 7 dead in tunnel collapse
- Himachal tunnel collapse: Trapped workers likely to be rescued today
- Bilaspur Tunnel Collapse: Drilling machine develops snag, another night in tunnel for three trapped workers
- Through snags and prayers, week-long rescue op at Himachal tunnel lurches towards end
- Rescue teams establish contact with workers trapped in Himachal tunnel
- Three workers trapped after under construction tunnel caves in Himachal Pradesh
Following an an advice of experts, Deputy Commissioner of Bilaspur, Mansi Sahay Thakur took a decision to deploy men at the top of the tunnel to drill open the surface vertically to drop some material including water and life saving stuff. This was also aimed to communicate with trapped workers and know their exact health condition. The rescue teams are also trying to insert a close circuit camera inside the tunnel to get visuals on the victims’ condition. The teams of engineers from Jaypee group and SJVNL are also camping at the site for technical assistance.
Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh said that every effort will be made to save the lives of the workers. “Experts of BRO are at the site since September 13. The rescue operation was being carried out day and night,” he said.
The Chief Minister said that an inquiry would be conducted into the mishap and responsibility would be fixed for the lapse.