High tariff and large passenger volumes are required to justify investment in high-speed train projects as these are highly capital intensive in nature, the Economic Survey (ES) has said.
Railways has in consultation with state governments selected seven corridors for carrying out pre-feasibility studies for the introduction of high-speed, or bullet trains.
A business development study for the Mumbai-Ahmedabad high -speed corridor has been undertaken by French Railways and is likely to be completed in June, 2014.
A joint feasibility study for the corridor was also undertaken jointly by Indian Railways and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) in December, 2013, and is likely to be completed in about 18 months, said the survey which was tabled in Lok Sabha.
Railways have set up the High Speed Rail Corporation (HSRC) as a subsidiary of Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd to develop high -speed rail corridors in the country which would allow passenger trains to run at speeds of up to 350-kmph.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
It will undertake activities like preparing the project- related studies and drawing up technical standards for the Mumbai-Ahmedabad corridor or any other corridor as decided by the government. It will also provide support to the government for finalising the financial and implementation models.
ES also highlighted the ongoing Dedicated Freight Corridor — a mega rail transport corridor project of the rail ministry to increase carrying capacity, reduce unit costs of transportation and improve service quality.
Of the 1,839-km-long Eastern DFC, which extends from Dankuni to Ludhiana, World Bank is funding 1,183-km (from Ludhiana to Mughalsarai) in three phases.
For the 1,499-km Western DFC, from Jawaharlal Nehru Port in Mumbai to Dadri near Delhi, complete funding from JICA has been tied up and construction work is in progress.