The Allahabad High Court Wednesday decided to monitor the probe into the Badaun gangrape and murder case and asked the Uttar Pradesh Police chief to submit a detailed report of the investigation into the matter and all such cases registered in the state in the past six weeks. The DGP has been told to comply with the order within three weeks.
The court has also asked the DGP to ensure that the families of the victims are provided adequate security. It has fixed July 3 as the next date of hearing in the matter.
Meanwhile, the Lucknow bench of the court has reserved its order on a petition asking for a CBI probe into the Badaun case. A state government recommendation for a CBI probe, however, is awaiting a formal announcement from the agency.
A division bench of Justices Tarun Agrawala and Ram Surat Ram Maurya passed the order on a PIL filed by Stree Mukti Sangathan, an Allahabad-based NGO.
The court said: “We find that the law and order situation in the state of Uttar Pradesh has deteriorated. In the past couple of months, crimes against women have increased and this incident, unfortunately, has engaged the attention of the world at large.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Coming down heavily on the state government, it added: “The administration has taken a back seat and, instead of maintaining the rule of law, a concerted effort of a blame game has taken shape by the officials manning the administration. What would be the shape of the investigation is not known. What is the state of affairs of crimes against women in UP is required to be indicated. The court is conscious of the exercise of its powers and considering the present situation, it is necessary for the court to monitor the investigation.”
Appearing for the state government, Chief Standing Counsel Ramesh Upadhyaya submitted that the administration was seized of the matter at the highest level. He also informed the court that the Badaun SP has been suspended and that protection has been given to the families of the victims. Upadhyaya told the court that the state government had given the nod for a CBI investigation in the case.
However, the court maintained that the matter required monitoring.