Odisha government has submitted to Orissa High Court the report of the Justice PK Mohanty Commission which has made several recommendations for ensuring the safety and security of the lakhs of devotees visiting Sri Jagannath Temple in Puri.
While the report was submitted in a sealed cover on Friday, the state government, however, failed to submit the action taken report (ATR) as sought by high court last month while adjudicating in a PIL concerning the issue.
Directing the government to submit the ATR within a week, the division bench of Justices AK Rath and BR Sarangi posted the matter to July 18. Retired judge of Orissa High Court, Justice PK Mohanty, was appointed by the state government to head the one-man commission to probe the November, 2006, stampede inside Puri temple in which about six persons died.
Justice Mohanty was also asked to make recommendations for enhancing the safety and security of devotees at the temple. He had submitted the report along with his recommendations in 2009 and the same was subsequently tabled in the Assembly and accepted by the state government.
Social and political activist Chitta Ranjan Mohanty had filed the PIL questioning the government’s motive while alleging at the same time that it had completely ignored the recommendations of the judicial commission.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The petitioner had alleged that due to improper security management by the government, the historical marvel of the country was now under terrorists’ scanner. The petition also raised questions about alleged ‘mismanagement’ and ‘maladministration’ by the temple authorities in disciplining the priests and servitors, for which there has been criticism from both inside and outside the state.