A division bench of the Calcutta High Court on Thursday extended till Monday the stay on the execution of a single bench order directing registration of FIR against Trinamool Congress MP Tapas Pal for his hate speech after hearing both parties.
A division bench comprising Justice Girish Gupta and Justice T Chakraborty heard the case and also watched a video clip of Pal’s controversial comments.
The bench on Wednesday granted a day-long stay after Kalyan Banerjee, a TMC MP and senior advocate, who appeared for the state, prayed for an interim injunction on Justice Dipankar Dutta’s order.
Justice Dutta had earlier ordered registration of FIR and transfer of the case to CID within 72 hours. Banerjee challenged the order, saying the source of the video clip of Pal’s comment remains unknown. “The entire speech is needed to be seen because words have to be read in a context. The full video is with nobody,” he told the court.
The bench observed that if the state does not prosecute Pal, then no one on this earth can prosecute him. Pal, whose controversial remarks against women had sparked an outrage, on July 1 tendered an unconditional apology saying that in making such comments he has let down his constituency and the people of Bengal.
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews