Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan has met his American counterpart Sylvia Mathews Burwell and held discussions over a range of bilateral issues.
Vardhan, the first cabinet minister of Narendra Modi government to visit the US, also met the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) administrator Raj Shah Tuesday.
The meeting came on the eve of an important international meet ‘Acting on the Call: Ending Preventable Child and Maternal Deaths’ being organized by the US in association with India and Ethiopia.
In their meeting, Vardhan and Burwell are understood to have reviewed the India-US Health Initiatives and discussed new areas of collaboration that could be forged between the two countries.
Under the Health Initiative, four working groups have been organised in the areas of non-communicable diseases, infectious diseases, strengthening health systems and services, and maternal and child health.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
In June 2012, the United States, India and Ethiopia in collaboration with UNICEF, had hosted the Child Survival Call to Action event in Washington, DC to mobilize the world opinion to achieve the ambitious yet achievable goal of reducing all preventable child deaths by 2035.
Vardhan is scheduled to deliver key note address at the meet being organized in Washington DC Wednesday.
The Union Health Minister would also visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta. He is likely to attend the annual convention of American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI) and address the powerful group of Indian American doctors at San Antonio in Texas on June 26.