Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan on Thursday defended the removal of AIIMS Chief Vigilance Officer Sanjiv Chaturvedi, saying he was “not eligible” for the post.
“He was not at all eligible for the post that he was holding at AIIMS. We were informed that without the approval of the CVC, nobody can be assigned the post of CVO anywhere. This was brought to our notice, we took cognizance of the same and removed him,” he said.
Chaturvedi was removed from his post on Wednesday with the ministry citing no reason for the decision though internal documents show BJP MP J P Nadda had been pushing for Chaturvedi’s removal. The charge of his office has been assigned to joint secretary and CVO of Health Ministry Vishwas Mehta. The tenure of Chaturvedi, a Haryana cadre forest service officer of 2002 batch, was fixed for four years and was to have lasted till June 2016.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The Aam Aadmi Party, on the other hand, demanded the resignation from Harsh Vardhan. A statement issued by the party said that failing this, PM Narendra Modi should sack the minister for shunting out the “whistleblower officer”.
“Chaturvedi had recommended CBI probe in scams involving top officials of AIIMS. Dr Harsh Vardhan’s action flies directly in the face of the Prime Minister’s recent statement that he will not allow anyone to indulge in corruption and loot,” it said.