Family members of some of the victims of 1993 Mumbai blasts today demanded that Yakub Memon be hanged and submitted a mass petition to Chief Minister Devendra Fanavis in this regard.
“Yakub should be hanged,” Tushar Deshmukh, who lost his mother in the blasts, said in a memorandum to Fadnavis at Vidhan Bhawan here.
- In Ajmal Kasab hanging, secrecy was priority. In Yakub Memon case, entire country was watching: Meeran Chadha Borwankar
- Yakub Memon: His offence
- Maharashtra Governor rejects Yakub Memon's mercy plea
- Govt advises President to reject Yakub Memon's mercy plea
- Yakub Memon's cousin, lawyer visit him in Nagpur jail
- Yakub Memon gets no relief from SC, to be hanged July 30
“The families have suffered. We demand that the death sentence be carried out,” Deshmukh said.
He said the memorandum was signed by of 1600 family members of the victims.
Yesterday, the Supreme Court set up a three-judge bench to decide Yakub’s fate after a two-judge bench was split on his plea seeking stay of his execution scheduled for tomorrow.
On March 12, 1993, 12 coordinated blasts had rocked Bombay, as the city was then known, leaving 257 dead and over 700 injured.