Sixteen people were injured in a grenade attack by militants near Batpora chowk in South Kashmir’s Shopian district on Saturday afternoon. The injured were rushed to the district hospital. All of them are reportedly stable.
The grenade attack took place at 2.40 pm, said Shopian Superintendent of Police (SP) Altaf Khan.
- J-K: SPO throws grenade from police car, saves colleagues
- Militants hurl grenade at CRPF camp in Sopore, five injured
- Tral: Attack on cavalcade a cowardly act, says J-K minister Naeem Akhtar
- J&K: Two killed, PWD minister escapes unhurt in Tral grenade attack
- Srinagar: One killed, 15 injured as militants hurl grenade at Jahangir Chowk
- Four CRPF jawans injured in grenade attack in Anantnag
The target of the militants’ attack was a police party, but the grenade missed its intended target and exploded on the main road, injuring 16 people, said police. “We have launched a search operation to nab the attackers,” one of them said.
A woman and a minor girl sustained major injuries in the blast. “The girl has been shifted to Srinagar for further treatment,” said the official.