In probably the first such instance in the country, the services of IAS couple Tinoo and Arvind Joshi, both officers of 1979 batch, have been terminated four-and-a-half years after Income-Tax raids at their government bungalow in Bhopal.
Months after the I-T raids on February 4, 2010, the Lokayukta Police had also raided the same D-19 bungalow and filed a chargesheet. With the ED also investigating the couple’s transactions, the MP government had recommended termination of their services over two years ago.
Arvind was principal secretary (jails) and his wife was principal secretary (women and child development) when they were suspended on February 5, a day after the I-T raids.
A government spokesman confirmed that an 11-page termination order was served on the couple on Tuesday.
In his nearly three-decade long career till suspension, Arvind was once posted in the Defence Ministry (1994-2004) as joint secretary and his wife was deputy secretary in the PMO (1988-90).
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
When reached for comments, Arvind denied having received any order. “A lot of announcements are being made but none of them is true,’’ he said. “We have challenged the proceedings against us in the high court. The wheel of law moves slowly but it surely moves. I have faith in the judiciary. I know the fate of these proceedings because they were arbitrary and no norm was followed,’’ Arvind told The Indian Express over phone claiming he was not in Bhopal.
Arvind’s father H M Joshi, who retired as DGP, and mother are also accused in the case filed by the Lokayukta police. The state government has proposed seizure of tainted properties owned by the couple. Till the raids, Arvind was known to be a hard working officer. Investigators later found he had spent a lot of time investing in the stock market while in office. Though there were murmurs about corruption during his posting in Morena in the 1980s, it was his long stint in the water resources department from 2005 onwards that made people aware of his clout.