Speaking on the occasion of the 15th Kargil Vijay Diwas, after laying a wreath at Amar Jawan Jyoti at India Gate, he said, “We have discussed various sites. As far as the government is concerned, subject to whatever is approved by the departments of the government and the Armed Forces concerned, we will look for the best site in this vicinity, whatever is available. The Armed Forces had suggested a land in the vicinity available at Princess Park. It is appropriate for a war museum.”
Jaitley was accompanied by the three service chiefs at the wreath-laying ceremony.
During his Budget speech, Jaitley, who also holds the Finance portfolio, had said that the war memorial as well as war museum would be constructed at Princess Park. This was contrary to the longstanding talks about constructing the memorial in the India Gate complex.
The original plan included construction of a war memorial at India Gate and a museum at Princess Park, and connecting the two by an underground subway. However, the former Delhi government led by Sheila Dikshit had warned that constructing a memorial at India Gate would spoil the facade of the famous complex.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
On Saturday, Jaitley said: “The site for the war memorial, which will have names inscribed of all those who made the ultimate sacrifice for the country after 1947, either at that (Princess Park) site or somewhere in the vicinity… is being shortlisted. In fact, very soon — in a day or two — we will be visiting that site along with the chiefs… The construction will take time. We want it to be a grand memorial.”