The government appears to be inching closer to merge two identical schemes — the National Population Register (NPR) and UIDAI’s Aadhaar — launched during the previous UPA regime as Home Minister Rajnath Singh convened the first high-level meeting to chalk out plans to “integrate” the two projects on Thursday.
The government is considering the possibility of bringing synergy between NPR and Aadhar projects and how the two could be made “complementary” so as to end any duplication among them. The issue was discussed threadbare at the high-level meeting which was also attended by Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and Minister of State for Planning Rao Inderjit Singh.
The ministers took stock of the various aspects of NPR and Aadhaar, how to avoid duplication between the two and discussed the suggestion of merging NPR and Aadhaar schemes, a Home Ministry official said.
As reported by The Indian Express, the Home Minister has already set a three-year deadline to identify genuine Indian citizens through the NPR project. The government also wants enumerators to conduct door-to-door verification across the country and issue NPR cards only to Indian nationals.
The MHA has already suggested that the NPR and Aadhaar schemes should be merged under the Registrar General of India or division of work between the two should be in such a way that enrolment is done entirely by NPR while UIDAI, which runs Aadhaar, carried out de-duplication ahead of generating the unique number. The issue will be taken up by the secretaries of the ministries concerned in the coming days to take it forward.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest