Months after whistleblower Edward Snowden disclosed that snooping by United States intelligence agencies involved internet networks in India, the government has acknowledged that only metadata or the “origin-route-destination” of emails were tracked and not their “actual content”.
In a report “Cyber Crime, Cyber Security and Right to Privacy”, tabled in Parliament in the last session by the Standing Committee on Information Technology, the Secretary of the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DEITY) said that the government has been “assured that whatever data has been gathered by them for surveillance relates only to the metadata”. “It has been reiterated and stated at the highest level of the US President that only the metadata has been accessed, which is, the origin of the message and the receiving point, the destination and the route through which it has gone, but not the actual content itself,” the Secretary told the committee.
He said “this has been reiterated by them, but we expressed that any incursion into the content will not be tolerated and is not tolerable from Indian stand and point of view” and “that has been mentioned very clearly and firmly by our Government”. The committee, while taking note of DEITY’s stand that “incursion into the content of the country’s data will not be tolerated”, said that the “department should have exercised enough caution so that such a situation was not allowed to occur at the first instance”.
Asking the department to be “extremely vigilant and cautious” in terms of safety and policy with different countries so as to avoid “such leakage and interception of sensitive data in the name of surveillance”, the panel has called for “remedial measures” and “a policy which should be implemented stringently so as to obviate recurrence of such instances”.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen