Faced with the prospect of having to assign additional charge to too many governors, the NDA government is learnt to have decided to go slow on the resignation of state heads for now. After managing resignations from the governors of Chhattisgarh and Uttar Pradesh, said officials, the government now wanted to wait till the new names were decided by the BJP top brass.
On Tuesday, Goa Governor B V Wanchoo, too, met Home Minister Rajnath Singh and reportedly offered to quit, though no final decision was taken till late evening.
Officials said at least ten BJP veterans would be inducted once some of the incumbents chosen by the previous UPA government made their exit before the Budget Session of Parliament.
While Uttarakhand governor Aziz Qureshi is holding the additional charge of UP Governor after B L Joshi quit last week, On the other hand, Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav is holding the charge of Chhattisgarh Governor after Shekhar Dutt’s resignation.
“A list is being prepared by the ruling party. Once it is finalised, the governors will be asked to put in their papers. So, they have a few more days as the new appointments are likely to be made before the Parliament session,” said a senior official of the ministry.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
According to the official, it is a massive logistical exercise to give additional charges to governors as it involves a proper swearing-in ceremony and other formalities. “The calls made by the home secretary to the governors asking them about their future plans were to sound out alerts that such a move was being planned by the government,” said the official.
Meanwhile, after meeting Rajnath Singh, Wanchoo, whom the Goa BJP has been targeting, avoided talking to the media. CBI wants to quiz Wanchoo in AugustaWestland chopper bribery case and will have to seek the President’s sanction to do so if he holds the governor’s post. Once he quits, CBI can go ahead with the questioning.
Haryana Governor Jagannath Pahadia was another governor to met Singh on Tuesday. Pahadia and his Karnataka counterpart H R Bhardwaj are set to retire later this week.
BJP veteran Lalji Tandon, who is said to be one of the probables for the post, too met Singh at his North Block office.
Meanwhile, two governors — Ashwini Kumar of Nagaland and M K Narayanan of West Bengal — are believed to have conveyed to the Centre their willingness to step down.
Governor Qureshi to meet public for 2 hours daily, BJP questions move
LUCKNOW: A day after taking charge, UP Governor Aziz Qureshi Tuesday announced that Raj Bhavan doors will remain open for two hours everyday for those who wish to meet him without a prior appointment. The opposition BJP, however, questioned the Governor’s move to hold janata darshan when there was an elected government in the state.
As per Qureshi’s direction, from June 25 onwards (excluding holidays) any one can meet him at the Raj Bhavan, without any prior appointment, between 11 am and 1 pm.
Sources, however, said that except during the President’s Rule in the state, those willing to meet the Governor have to seek appointment. ENS