Government relaxes reservation rules for jobs to ex-servicemen

Government has allowed ex-servicemen to avail of the benefit of reservation in all civil jobs they apply.

By: PTI | New Delhi | Published:August 17, 2014 10:29 am

In what is welcome news for lakhs of ex-servicemen, the government has removed a major hurdle to their post-retirement employment and allowed them to avail of the benefit of reservation in all civil jobs they apply.

Upon discharge from the armed forces, an ex-serviceman normally applies for more than one job. However, in case of joining any civil employment due to early declaration of results or selection, the ex-serviceman is not entitled to the benefit of reservation for any subsequent job.

The issue that the rules were affecting the chances of ex-servicemen in getting suitable employment was brought to the notice of the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT), which held a consultation in the matter with the department of ex-servicemen in the Defence Ministry.

“It has now been decided that if an ex-serviceman applies for various vacancies before joining any civil employment, hecan avail of the benefit of reservation as an ex-serviceman for any subsequent employment,” said a DoPT order.

However, to avail of this benefit, an ex-serviceman, as soon as he joins any civil employment, should submit a declaration or undertaking with the employer concerned about the date-wise details of application for various vacancies for which he has applied before joining the initial civil employment, it said.

This benefit would be available only in respect of vacancies which are filled on direct recruitment and wherever reservation applies to ex-servicemen, DoPT said, amending the government’s 24-year-old instructions in this regard.

There are about 20 lakh ex-servicemen, according to the Defence Ministry.

The benefit of reservation for ex-servicemen is available at 10 per cent of the vacancies in Group C posts and on 20 per cent of the vacancies in Group D posts in all central civil services and posts.

Benefit of reservation has been extended at 10 per cent of the vacancies in the posts up to the level of Assistant Commandant in all paramilitary forces which are filled by direct recruitment, according to the rules.

The government’s instructions issued on May 2, 1985, say that once an ex-serviceman has joined the government on the civil side, after availing of the re-employment benefits given to him as an ex-serviceman, his ex-serviceman status for the purpose of re-employment in government jobs would cease.

It was also decided that on his joining civil employment, he would be deemed to be a civil employee and would accordingly be entitled to only such benefits, like relaxation of age, etc., as open to civil employees in the normal course.

However, on November 7, 1989, it was clarified that the rules shall not apply to those ex-servicemen who have been re-employed or are re-employed by private companies, autonomous bodies, public sector undertakings and government offices on casual, contract or temporary ad-hoc basis and who can be removed from such service at any time by their employer.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

Awadhesh Kumar
    Apr 25, 2017 at 5:12 pm
    I wish to join as TTE in Indian railways pl help me to apply for the same i am presently in service wish to take discharge from service in coming days
    1. B
      Bhupinder Singh
      Apr 24, 2017 at 10:04 pm
      1. J
        Jagdish Csks Bisht
        Apr 24, 2017 at 10:17 am
        Hi. I am Subedar Honorary Lieutenant (EME) retired from Clerk trade on 28 Feb 2017. I wish to join as Security Guard/Security Supervisor in private company in Valsad, Vapi or Dharampur. I wish to join Indian Railways as a Ticket Collector, Clerk, RPF. My E-mail is bishtjagdish777@gmail Mobile No 7990382805
        1. V
          Vinod More
          Apr 23, 2017 at 5:43 pm
          If any ex army job in Mumbai and Pune please give me the information through my email address dhruvdaksh2726@gmail I m 35 yrs old I complet my 17 yrs service in army on Apr 18
          1. H
            Hawle Asaram
            Mar 29, 2017 at 5:16 pm
            Asaram hawle , Ihave retried from ASC regt , macanical Transport department Army on completion 22years service as a HAV/MT on 31 Dec-2016 retired and my Date of birth is 15Augst 1975 searching the GOVT job in Maharashtra state- ahemadnagar , pune,andNasik between any one distric sir or any pvt ltd co minimum25-35Thousand parmonth a to z vechal handling me sir .
              Prempal
              Jan 28, 2017 at 1:56 pm
              As a clerical work
              1. V
                Virendra kumar
                Mar 17, 2017 at 10:37 am
                Sir l am ex serviceman of Indian army I need a job in uttar pradesh and delhi
                  Abhiram satapathy
                  Feb 19, 2017 at 5:05 am
                  Jobs as store supervisor
                    Aladu Narasingh
                    Jan 28, 2017 at 5:46 am
                    Storekeeper
                    1. B
                      Ballava Tripathy
                      Jan 28, 2017 at 9:58 pm
                      I am a Ex Sub/Lab technician(Hony SubMaj) having 30 yrs experience.I want a suitable job in Odisha.
                      1. B
                        Binnar Sanjay
                        Jan 6, 2017 at 9:28 am
                        I am Hav Sanjay binnar 26yers service 30 Nov 2017 retired plz job inf me.nasik maharashtra
                          kangne dk
                          Jan 8, 2017 at 6:21 pm
                          My name is kangne D K retaired from army on 30nov2016. I am long experience in driving. I am 38 years old.my cont..9823495740
                            Dilip kumar
                            Jan 6, 2017 at 2:09 am
                            I am 46year old ex servicemen i want a job in patna whose incom should be minimum 17000 per month if any suitable jobs for me in any secto then intimatte throughout my email.......
                            1. G
                              G V
                              Jan 31, 2017 at 8:16 am
                              As a Clerical work (LDC).
                              1. G
                                G V
                                Jan 31, 2017 at 8:25 am
                                As a clerical job ( LDC) and 26 yrs experience in Indian Army.
                                  Mehta bipinchandra
                                  Jan 17, 2017 at 8:30 am
                                  I48 years ex sub(hony sub maj) retaired from ASC (sup) on30april2016 i want sutebal job in gujarat ihave 28 years experiance of store keeping pl intimate my sel no9726235106 noemail
                                    Sub Jairam
                                    Jan 3, 2017 at 6:45 am
                                    Hi,I am Sub Jai Ram Yadav,Serving in Military Engineering Service in post of JE (Civil),I will retired from service on Apr 2018. If any suitable job for me in govt sector,then intimate through my email.Thank you
                                    1. J
                                      jagat singh
                                      Mar 5, 2017 at 11:03 am
                                      sir i am ex service man army i want to gov job in delhi.
                                        keti venkata
                                        Jan 7, 2017 at 7:29 pm
                                        I am ex su b k v venuvopal Rao retred from cops of signals on 01july2016 sti NO job please help me t s curity offt
                                        1. U
                                          Utpal chanak
                                          Jan 7, 2017 at 5:31 am
                                          Sir I,m 36 yr old ex-serviceman, please update me for job
                                            Midhun
                                            Feb 10, 2017 at 3:38 pm
                                            why you are dying this much for money, as a sub in army i think your pension is more than 25000, still you are thirst for money, just relax in your home and do something for timp, let those retired early in 35 to 40 years of age