The body of BJP leader and Union Rural Development Minister Gopinath Munde, who died of multiple injuries and cardiac arrest suffered following a road accident in Delhi, reached Mumbai on Tuesday evening.
The funeral is expected to take place at around 4.30 pm in the premises of a sugar factory founded by Munde near Parali on Wednesday, party sources said.
Munde, 64, who made his entry into the Union Cabinet for the first time last week, was on his way to the airport when his Maruti Suzuki SX4 car was hit by a Tata Indica car at Prithviraj Road-Tughlak Road intersection in the heart of the capital.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Delhi Police said the Intelligence Bureau and the Special Cell were investigating whether there was any conspiracy angle behind the accident.
Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said Munde suffered cervical fractures and oxygen to the brain and lungs may have been cut off following the injuries.
Munde’s body reaches Mumbai
The special plane carrying the body, accompanied by Munde’s relatives and party members, landed at the domestic airport here. The body was taken to ‘Poorna’ building in Worli, Munde’s residence in Mumbai.
Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray, MNS chief Raj Thackeray, BJP MP Hema Malini and NCP leaders Chhagan Bhujbal and Praful Patel visited Munde’s residence to pay respects.
The body will be later kept at the state BJP office in south Mumbai to enable people pay respects to the departed leader.
It would be flown to Latur in central Maharashtra on Wednesday morning. From Latur, the body will be taken to Parali in Beed district (Munde’s Lok Sabha constituency), around 70 km from Latur.
Munde family hails from Nathra village near Parali.
(With PTI Inputs)