With the Congress falling to an all-time low of three seats out of 14 in the state, detractors within the ruling party in Assam have renewed their “Gogoi-hatao” campaign. This comes close on the heels of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi announcing that he would submit his resignation to the Congress high command within a few days.
Though the dissidents have not made any statement, at least four members of Gogoi’s council of ministers refrained from attending its first meeting since the Lok Sabha results, with some of them meeting separately along with a group of party MLAs in the state capital here.
Meanwhile, as Gogoi flew to New Delhi, his supporters led by former Transport minister Anjan Dutta, called for stern action against those blaming him for the electoral disaster. Dutta also advised Gogoi to reshuffle his ministry within the next two weeks.
However, Gogoi said he was not aware of any such move by his detractors. “I have not seen anybody asking for my resignation in any party forum so far. Anybody is free to make any demand,” he said. On the absence of some ministers, including Education minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, at the meeting, Gogoi said they might have been preoccupied.
Meanwhile, senior party leader Biren Singh Engti, who was re-elected from the Autonomous (ST) constituency to Lok Sabha said dissidence and indiscipline within the Congress was responsible for its dismal performance. “Indiscipline within the party has come to the open in the past two years,” Engti said.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The dissidents on their part were waiting for May 16, expecting that the Congress would get less than seven seats, giving them a chance to seek Gogoi’s removal. But the tally dipped so low across the country that they had to drop that idea.